Luxurious, decadent, and simply irresistible. Would you have guessed that this vegan chocolate mousse 🍫 is made with only two ingredients? One of which is also pretty high in protein. And no, it is not the usual aquafaba or avocado. The secret ingredient of this extra-smooth and enveloping mousse is silken tofu! 🤫
I have wanted to try silken tofu for ages but never had the occasion -or, let’s be honest- the courage to try it in my sweet recipe. Luckily, I have not only discovered that it is easier to use than anticipated, but the result is so good that I think this silken tofu chocolate mousse will soon become one of my favorite healthy desserts. And the best thing is that apart from being delicious it is also high in protein and pretty low in calories and fats, especially compared to the other vegan mousse recipes out there. One serving has only a little over 200 calories and less than 10 grams of fat, which sounds pretty good to me! 💯
Vegan Chocolate Mousse: only two ingredients and lots of reasons you should try it! 💣
If you haven’t figured it out so far, I am simply obsessed with this silken tofu chocolate mousse! In the past, I tried multiple vegan chocolate mousse recipes, but none of them ticked all of my boxes. I was looking for a low-sugar, low-fat, gluten-free, and high-protein dessert with an airy and smooth texture and a decadent taste but I almost always ended up with the opposite.
In particular, I was never able to achieve the consistency I so much desired, fluffy as a cloud yet smooth and reach. All of this until I decided to swap the usual aquafaba and avocado with silken tofu, the true star of this recipe! This is made using a slightly different coagulation process compared to other types of tofu, resulting in a softer, creamier, and more delicate consistency. When blended with melted dark chocolate, the result is an incredibly velvety texture that has nothing to envy to traditional chocolate mousse made with eggs and cream but is certainly better for your energy levels and overall health!
Here is why you should try this silken tofu chocolate mousse ASAP:
- High in Pant-Based Protein: Silken tofu, the main ingredient in this recipe, is an excellent source of plant-based protein, with almost 7 grams of protein per serving (around 100 grams). In addition, tofu is derived from soybeans, making it a complete protein with all the essential amino acids your body needs to repair and maintain muscle mass and be overall healthy and ready to tackle everyday life tasks!
- Fewer Cravings: Thanks to its notable protein content, this mousse provides a more sustained release of energy and keeps you feeling full for an extended period. In turn, this allows to curb processed and unhealthy food cravings and maintain a more balanced diet.
- Low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol-Free: At the same time, my recipe does not contain any dairy products or eggs, both of which are generally high in saturated fats and cholesterol. And the consistency is even better than the recipes containing heavy creams or butter!
- Antioxidant-Rich Chocolate: The dark chocolate chips used in this recipe are rich in precious antioxidant compounds, which work wonders in preventing cell aging and strengthening immune function. In particular, dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which possess several medicinal benefits, including anticancer, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties, as well as neuroprotective and cardio-protective effects.
- Natural Sweeteners: The use of natural sweeteners like maple syrup or agave nectar -which are optional in this recipe- adds sweetness without relying on refined sugars. This helps maintain a more stable blood sugar level compared to traditional desserts with added sugars. This results in steady energy levels throughout the day.
- No Highly Processed Ingredients: The recipe primarily relies on whole, minimally processed ingredients, avoiding highly processed and artificial additives commonly found in store-bought desserts.
Silken Tofu Chocolate Mousse: tips and tricks for a velvety and smooth texture 🍫
Although the preparation of this silken tofu chocolate mousse is pretty straightforward, here are some tips that will help you achieve the smoothest and most luxurious dessert of your life!
- Use high-quality dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa content for a rich and deep chocolate flavor.
- Melt the dark chocolate using a gentle method, such as a double boiler or in short bursts in the microwave. Avoid overheating to prevent seizing or burning the chocolate.
- A powerful blender or food processor can make a significant difference in achieving a silky texture. It breaks down the tofu and chocolate particles more effectively. Make sure to blend thoroughly until there are no lumps.
- If you desire an even lighter texture, you can whip the mousse mixture or gently fold in some whipped aquafaba (chickpea liquid) for added airiness.
- Allow the mousse to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, if not more. This not only sets the mousse but also enhances the flavor and texture.
- Top the mousse with fresh berries, chopped nuts, or a dollop of coconut whipped cream just before serving. These additions not only enhance the flavor but also add a pleasing contrast in texture!
If you liked this recipe, here are other recipes you might like. Dark Chocolate Hummus, Dark Chocolate Bark with Dried Cherries and Almonds, and Chocolate Crostata.
Before you go…
I hope you will love this recipe as much as I do! If you have tried it, please let me know how you liked it in the comments. And don’t forget to tag my socials (all the links are down below). 💗
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Luxurious, decadent, and simply irresistible. Would you have guessed that this vegan chocolate mousse is made with only two ingredients? One of which is also pretty high in protein. And no, it is not the usual aquafaba or avocado. The secret ingredient of this extra-smooth and enveloping mousse is silken tofu!
Prevent your screen from going dark
In a heatproof bowl, melt the vegan chocolate chips. You can do this by using a double boiler or microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring between intervals until fully melted.
Drain the silken tofu and add it to a blender or food processor.
Add to the blender the melted chocolate and, if desired, the maple syrup or agave nectar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
Blend all the ingredients until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed to ensure everything is well combined.
Transfer the chocolate mousse mixture to individual serving dishes or a larger bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow it to set and chill.
Once chilled, you can serve the vegan chocolate mousse as is or top it with fresh berries, chopped nuts, or coconut whipped cream for added flavor and texture. Enjoy!