This creamy and rich vegan mushroom risotto is the perfect main dish for your Christmas or New Year’s Eve dinner. ✨ The combination of earthy brown rice, savory mushrooms, and protein-rich lentils creates a dish that is both comforting and packed with precious nutrients. Nobody will say no to a second round! 🍽
Vegan Mushroom Risotto: A gluten-free, lactose-free, and fully plant-based recipe 🌱
Gluten-free, lactose-free, and fully plant-based this recipe will please all your guests. Ditch the traditional butter-rich risotto recipes and embrace a new world of creaminess and nourishment with the use of simple, easily available ingredients. 🍄
The secret lies in the specific order in which the rice and vegetable broth are added to the pan (more on that in a while), which allows the starches to be released during the cooking process, creating that rich and luscious texture we all like in a risotto. 😍 Plus, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes without the use of an instant pot!
The same recipe can be easily personalized with the ingredients you have at hand. For example, you can swap the mushrooms with some artichokes or pumpkin, and the lentils with some peas or chickpeas. These latter will increase the protein content of the risotto, making it a more complete and balanced meal. Similarly, brown rice can be substituted with some arborio or carnaroli rice for an even creamier result (even though they are slightly less rich in nutrients). Optional, but highly suggested, is the addition of some nutritional yeast or plant-based parmesan cheese right before removing it from the stove. This will add that cheesy touch we all love in a risotto!
My Secret Tips for an Extra Creamy and Flavorful Vegan Mushroom Risotto 💯
Ready to take your vegan mushroom risotto game to the next level? Here are my secret tips for an extra creamy and flavorful risotto. No need for any fancy ingredient or piece of equipment. Get ready to impress your taste buds and those of anyone lucky enough to share a meal with you! 🍄💚
- Sauté Vegetables: Begin by sautéing onions and garlic in a good quality olive oil until they’re soft and translucent. This creates a flavorful base for your risotto. Incorporate a variety of mushrooms, such as baby bella, cremini, shiitake, or porcini, to add depth and umami to your dish. Sauté them well to intensify their flavor. Make sure not to overcook the veggies (here zucchini and mushrooms).
- Use Arborio or Carnaroli Rice: Opt for high-starch rice varieties like Arborio or Carnaroli. These grains release more starch during cooking, contributing to a creamier texture.
- Opt for High-Quality Broth: Use a rich and flavorful mushroom or vegetable broth. You can make your own or choose a high-quality store-bought version. Keep it warm on a separate burner to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the cooking process, as cold broth can slow down the absorption of liquid by the rice.
- Gradual Liquid Addition: Add the warm vegetable broth gradually, one ladle at a time, allowing the rice to absorb the liquid slowly. This helps achieve the desired creamy consistency.
- Stir Well: Stir the risotto regularly as it cooks. This helps release the starch from the rice, creating a creamy consistency. Add the broth gradually and allow it to be absorbed before adding more.
- Wine for Complexity (Optional): Adding a splash of dry white wine during the cooking process can enhance the overall flavor profile of your risotto. This step is optional, but it can add complexity to the final taste.
- Add Some Nutritional Yeast for Creaminess and Cheesy Flavor: Incorporate nutritional yeast to achieve a cheesy flavor without using dairy. This will also contribute to the richness and creaminess of the risotto.
- The Cashew Cream Trick: Alternatively, Create a cashew cream by blending soaked cashews with water until smooth. Add this towards the end of the cooking process to impart a luscious, creamy texture.
- Finish with Some Vegan Butter or Olive Oil: Just before serving, stir in a tablespoon of vegan butter or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. This adds a final layer of richness and gloss to the risotto.
- Season Thoughtfully: Taste and adjust the seasoning, including salt, pepper, and any additional herbs, towards the end of the cooking process. Finish the dish by garnishing it with fresh herbs like parsley or chives to add a burst of freshness and color.
If you like this recipe, I am sure you will also love my Mushroom Hot Pot. Let me know in the comments how you like this recipe💗…and wish you a happy Festive season! 🎄
Vegan Mushroom Recipe with Lentils
A creamy, high-protein vegan mushroom risotto with lentils and zucchini, ready in less than thirty minutes without the instant pot.
Prevent your screen from going dark
Rinse the brown rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
Slice the mushrooms, dice the zucchini, chop the onions, and mince the garlic.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
Stir in the brown rice and Cook for a couple of minutes to toast the rice slightly.
Add the sliced mushrooms, diced zucchini, and lentils to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the mushrooms release their moisture. Add the thyme, salt, and pepper.
Pour in the mushroom or vegetable broth and add bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer. Cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid, typically around 25-30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves, and and discard them. Stir in chopped parsley for freshness. Adjust the seasoning if necessary, adding more salt and pepper according to your taste.
Add some nutritional yeast for extra cheesiness and creaminess.
Enjoy your creamy mushroom and lentil brown rice!